Wednesday 10 September 2008

I SERIOUSLY BELIEVE MY FEET HAVE SHRUNK A LITTLE BIT


Shirt - Wrangler
Skirt - Selfmade
Shoes - Vintage


I'm wearing my grandmother's shoes from the mid 40's. I have a bunch of them (I'm a lucky girl, I know). I remember stomping around in these when I visited my grandmother as a little girl -they were waaay to big then, of course, but I felt oh so fancy and chic. Now that I'm all grown up and stuff and have these shoes in my posessison it seems my feet have grown slightly bigger than my grandmother's once were (and those few millimeters can be a bit painful, as noticed before). I even took this pair to the shoemaker's once to have them stretched a bit, but they said the shoes were probably too old and the suede to dry for them to want to give it a try.
Even if I quite haven't been able to wear them out and about, I still haven't had the heart to give any of the pairs away though.

So that's why I was quite surpried when I decided to try them on and they suddenly didn't feel bad at all and kept my feet happy and well through the day. I'm quite the Cinderella, huh?

16 comments:

AlicePleasance said...

You're a super lucky girl indeed! I have only a couple of handbags from my grandma and she had a great wardrobe, judging by pictures... :-(

Anonymous said...

Jag ska nog vara tacksam att min farmor inte efterlämnade några skor som jag skulle kunna sukta efter, för hennes fötter var åtminstone fyra storlekar mindre än mig. Likaså mormors. (Det är så det går när all ens längd kan skyllas på morfar...)

Dotti said...

Super duper lucky you. Indeed. There's some good things about growing older – you start shrinking again. But for me it only works with shoes. Around those other areas it's the other way round... Better stop that.

nitovuori said...

How wonderful to inherit such amazing shoes!

esme and the laneway said...

You are so so lucky to have beauitful shoes from your grandmother, and I'm so glad for you that they seem to fit now... maybe they fit best when it's colder?

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

They're lovely! I'm quite glad they fit--it's nice to have pieces with history.
P.S. I will be in Athens, but the first few weeks will be spent traveling all over.

Anonymous said...

It could be swelling ;o) sometimes the same shoes fit sometimes they don't.

Pratishtha Durga said...

Maybe you were suffering from water-retention or bloated feet at that time? Well, whatever the reason, great that you fit into those shoes. they are truly awesome! Lucky you.

Anonymous said...

I'm going with Esme's theory: Everything shrinks a little when the weather cools off. Maybe these will just have to be winter shoes!

Kati said...

My grandmother has big feet - too big for me! I hate that, her old shoes are just amazing and I can't wearing them, I'm slipping the whole time.
By the way, a great outfit.

Alice said...

Congratulations! It's a beautiful present, very special... you're lucky! and it'a an homage to your grandmother too.

xoxo from Madrid

mateo said...

You're really lucky!! I've tried going through my grandfather's (and my grandmother's ;))wardrobe, but unfortunately NOTHING fits me

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Alicepelasance : How sad there are no things left...

ika: Jag är nog mera brås op min mormor som är KORT. Min morfar är väldigt lång fast ibland önskade jag att jag hade mera av de generna...(fast då hade ju skorna inte passat så man skall ju itne klaga :)

Dotti : True! Feet shrink, my waist grows :)

Shoedilemma & pratishtha : Feet do swell someimtes. It's just so odd that I've treid to wear these so many times before and they didn'ät fit until now, but then again, feet do tend to shrink slightly at some point of age.

Esme & Sal : Yes it's true that feet are bigger in summer due to the heat. So it posssibly has somethign to do with that too.

Cathy Voyage : Those shose that are way to small for me I keep on a shelf since they're so pretty to look at. Maybe that's something for the shoes that are to big too?

Mateo : Damn! Not anyhing? Maybe there is some little fur collar or similar still tucked away somewhere..?

Unknown said...

Ooh you lucky thing! I have ginormous feet so no vintage shoes for me :(

ryder said...

i would say you look like gwen stefani :) or a really modern cinderella :).

ryder said...

i would say you look like gwen stefani :) or a really modern cinderella :).