Tuesday 23 September 2008

POSING WITH PEACOCKS

I know there is a risk of me sounding like a new age hippie, but really, every now and then it strikes me how amazing the design of nature is. Just think about it - the ornaments on butterflies wings, the construction of a flower or a seashell, the patterns you see in a leaf if you keep it up towards the light, a peacocks feathers... I bumped in to some peacocks lately and was reminded again that they are some pretty fine looking birds.


(the images above are just googled up, they're not mine)


I've always been fascinated by peacock feathers, and so have also many others - the peacock pattern have been used to decorate buildings, fabrics, jewellery and many more objects for thousands of years. Not to mention skin. I've thought about a peacock tattoo from time to time, on the back perhaps. Who knows, I might still end up with one one day.

While clothing with peacock patterns can look delicious and great, I feel that on me they could be a little bit too much of that "too much" I normally say can be just right.(It's the Christmas tree effect you know, when you're not sure where the dress ends and the tattoos begin...). I'd still love to have some clothes with just small details inspired by the feathers - on a skirt, the back of a dress, somewhere on a shoe, around the collar...





Look! Me on a walk with the birds.
Ah Helsinki- it's like paradise on earth, were the peacocks just wander around.
(The top is from Carlings, cardigan from Gina Tricot, bag and shoes H&M and skirt selfmade. Not so interesting stuff perhaps, but I kind of match the peacocks a little bit :)



Mr.Peacock.(This one followed me around all day.)


Ok, peacocks do not really walk around everywhere in Helsinki, if you actually believed so. Helsinki is not really that much of paradise on earth either, in case you fell for that too.
:)

32 comments:

Oriane said...

i love peacocks too ! And the patterns on the shoes and the blue cardigan (i don't know what to say in english..) are fabulous ! Really...

Unknown said...

Peacocks are great, i just love the colors, I love the bright blue paired with the stark black of the skirt and white of the cardigan. I always thought the bright blue color looks suoper great on us blondes :)

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Oriane : thank you :)

Heather : you're right! Klein blue and Royal blue does suite us blondes well :)

Anonymous said...

A lot of the peacock-themed stuff floating around these days kind of turns me off ... but I adore your drawing of a peacock-feather bib necklace. I'd totally wear THAT!

WendyB said...

When I got up close to some peacocks in Warsaw lately, I could NOT stop taking pictures of them. That blue color is so perfect!

http://wbjewelry.blogspot.com/2008/07/trendy-dudes-in-warsaw.html

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Sal : :)

WendyB : I know, it really is an amazing colour! Guess how many pics I took that day... Many.

Anonymous said...

Haha marry me, underbart inlägg, spontant och gulligt :D

//beleaguer.blogg.se

Anonymous said...

Haha marry me, underbart inlägg, spontant och gulligt :D

//beleaguer.blogg.se

Anonymous said...

Haha marry me, underbart inlägg, spontant och gulligt :D

//beleaguer.blogg.se

padam padam said...

Love the collar design!

Hilde Hooper said...

Hey - Love the blog and totally envy your style.I wish I could conquer hairstyles like yours!
The blouse idea with the peacock feathers is beautiful. So creative on the blouse/ruffles idea.

Winnie said...

Love the colours of peacock feathers! Such beautiful creatures...imagine my housemates suprise when she looked out the window and there was a peacock sitting outside her window watching her! It had escaped from the local botanical gardens!

Rhia said...

I also love peacocks (like i love dragonsflies and butterflies aswell =) and you are absolutely correct about the fact that nature is full of wonderfull, delightfull patterns and images, you just need to take the time to look at them.

As a fashion designer and seamstress myself i'm also intriqued with the idea of putting them feathers or pictures of peacock feathers on clothing. I also have used them before on my photograph project of flapper lady with peacock fan (photo in my blog)

Bunny B said...

Love that pic of you with the peacocks! Gorgeous! Your drawings for the design on the back of the dress and front of the blouse are lovely!

Bex said...

oooh! those drawings are lover-ly!!!

pumps & luiers said...

You're so right how nature provides these incredible patterns and textures! Love how it inspired you!

fröken lila said...

this peacock-feather-necklace looks like a wonderful diy-project!

Désirée said...

Nice colors!

Veronica_Fraticelli said...

oh god! peacock is my favorite cloathing motiv! I already have to pairs of earings, two t-shirts, two bags and a skirt with them. the dress you design is just perfect! I want more peacocks in my live!!

Anonymous said...

I adore peacocks! (I even have one tattooed)First thing I thought about was that you matched the birds colors hehe :)

Anonymous said...

That blue top you have drawn is beautiful. I hope you find something similar, or have something made. It would look so stunning on you.

Xx

mateo said...

i think the shoes with the peacock pattern would look awesome!!!

Kati said...

Your ideas how to design clothes with peacock-ornaments are really cute!

ochjagba said...

Oh, I love those shoes with the peacock-ornament. Lovely!

Miriam Parkman said...

I can only agree. Nature is a fantastic creation, how hippie it may sound;P For my "projektwork" (since I'm in the third year of the gymnasium) I'm actually doing a small lingeriecollection, inspired by the swedish nature.

I love your sketches with peacook feathers! That animal is a favorite of mine too. The sblue sweater was especially nice:)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I like the peacock details--I really like who they're slightly more subtle and not the whole feather. Very lovely pictures.

Lil Midget said...

Påfåglar mönster ser fab ut på skor tycker jag!

xo

Michelle said...

Ooh peacock pattern on a blouse would be sweet! I would have like to get some peacock feather earings too..

Smaggle said...

The colours in the photos are divine.

Annie said...

your drawings are all amazing, but I'm scared of peacocks which is funny but obne followed me into the car when I was like 6 and was chasing me. But the detail of them on clothes is awesome. Maybe you should make your own peacock collection and try and sell it to some shops...?

Pratishtha Durga said...

Peacock feathers are fascinating to a lot of people. I had a head-dress made from Peacock feathers. It was really pretty and a bit Rad, so I wore it for years. Then teenage got over and it became frayed and a little over-exposed.

But i still love the feathers.

Martha Reckless said...

I have a swallowtail butterfly and peacock feather tattoo on the inside of my right arm, and I'm about to paint a sisal rug with an abstract peacock thing - not sure yet - it'll come to me :-)