Sunday 3 April 2011

ABOUT SOME STUFF

(Yes, I know, I am among the more creative out there when it comes to headlines.)


We actually have two more rooms in our flat; the study and the kids' room, but they were not tidy enough to snap pics of.
(They are to the right in the pic, before our bedroom. The birdie-bathroom is to the left.)

Anyway, I intended to write about the armchairs and the wallpaper and other things quite many of you have asked about in the previous post about home already , but wasn't up to it then. So here goes now instead:

The wall paper is called Ken Kiuruista Kaunein ("Who is the Fairest of the Larks") and was designed by Birger Kaipiainen in the 1950's. It comes in a four colour variations and has a sister design in Kiurujen Yö ("Night of the Nightingales"). You can get it at Tapettitalo. They have an English translation of the site, and maybe, maybe, it could be possible to order abroad also.


My make up table cost me 20 euros from the finnish auction site Huuto.net, along with the stool. I also got our living room table trough that site. The stool was just a frame to which I build a seat of some left over wood from the renovation and a piece of foam, some fabric and ribbon. The lace is cut from a waxed cloth. The string shelves in the living room I spent a small fortune on, but the one here in the bedroom and the one in the study I got from my grandparents (they left one here in the flat for me) and from my mom and dad's garage.


I have the same waxed lace cloth on the shelves in the wardrobe too. I have received a lot of request to show pictures of my wardrobe during the years. Here's just a tiny sneak peek; I keep my clothes in here but also on a rack and then in the mini walk in closet in the study (among with lots of burlesque outfits and props, winter clothes and summer sandals, tools and other more undefined items…). The bedroom closets are original; I repainted them white on the outside and painted them soft pink on the inside and changed the old not-so-functional shelves into an Elfa drawer system.


(Bonus cat and cabinet radio-pic.)


A lot in our livingroom happens to be old and vintage, but the arm chairs are in fact not. They are a classic model from Finnish furniture comapy Asko that has been produced since way back. I am not sure if it has been in production constantly, but anyway, it is at least now. The chair is called Helena. It comes in a wide range of fabrics; I originally wanted a pair in a soft woven gray fabric, but one such would've cost more than the two deep red together so red it was. And better that way actually. There is also a similar chair called Richard in a classic fifties design with more patterned fabrics.

15 comments:

Venusenme said...

perfect!

Mary Ann said...

I have that same vintage hairstyling book. Isn't it awesome? :-)

Malayka said...

Looks fantastic! I just love it when people post about their homes (I'm probably just nosey). Your house is so beautifully light and bright.

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

What are your cats names? :)

Kate said...

Thanks so much for sharing your home with all of us! It is beautiful (:

ina said...

Ah, someone very talented must have put up those wallpapers with you!

Maja said...

Thank you for that! Why is it that you finns have all the amazing designers? Beautiful...

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all the information! These armchairs are awesome, but I'm afraid to even look at the prices.

Anonymous said...

You have immaculate taste. Everything goes together so well, with a huge dash of personality thrown into the mix for good luck! Your house is beautiful :)
xErin

anodetoreverie.blogspot.com

Désirée said...

Du är vacker, har en underbar stil, ett fantastiskt hem och en stilig karl. Snälla, du, vem som heslt skulle bli avis!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Thank you, you are all so nice <3
But I do like it here at home too!

Ina : well yes, a pro ;)

Malayka : nosey or not, I love to see house-posts too :)

Jojography : well in certain fabrics the price is kinda ok. Depending on what you compare it with of course...

Gina Americana said...

Like I've said before, I love the fact that here in Norden things in people's homes often have a name. Even the wallpaper! Geeesh!

JPandRose said...

Your house is truly beautiful! I'm coveting your Smeg fridge for my 1930s abode I'm renovating at the mo! x

Unknown said...

What is the name of your dinning room? it looks familiar! Great apartment!

Lou said...

Beautiful wallpaper! Lovely home.